- Marcus Stroke & Neuroscience Center
- Primary Location
- 80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive SE Atlanta, GA 30303
- Telephone Number
- (404) 616-1111
Dr. Kase was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. High school and medical school education in Santiago, Chile, with M.D. degree from the Catholic University of Chile in May 1967. Training in Neurology and Vascular Neurology at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, 1972-1973, and 1977-1978. Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Neurology (1980) and Vascular Neurology (2005, 2015).
In 1978 joined Dr. J. P. Mohr in forming the Neurology Department at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. In 1984 Dr. Kase joined the Department of Neurology at Boston University School of Medicine as Assistant Professor of Neurology, subsequently promoted to Associate and then Professor of Neurology. In 2004 became Chair of the Department of Neurology at Boston University School of Medicine and Neurologist-in-Chief, Boston Medical Center, until 2016, when he took a position as Professor of Neurology at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, until the present time.
Professional interests have been in the area of cerebrovascular diseases, performing clinical studies and clinico-pathologic correlations in intracerebral hemorrhage and cerebral infarction. Research activities have included participation in multicenter NIH-sponsored studies such as the Stroke Data Bank (NINCDS), the Warfarin Aspirin Recurrent Stroke Study (WARSS), the Warfarin vs. Aspirin for Symptomatic Intracranial
Disease (WASID) Study, the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) study, the Insulin Resistance Intervention after Stroke (IRIS) trial, and the Randomized, Multicenter Clinical Trial of Unruptured Brain AVMs (ARUBA), as well as in a number of therapeutic clinical trials. In addition, Dr. Kase participated from 1984 to 2016 in the Framingham Study, where he conducted a number of epidemiological studies in the area of stroke risk factors.
Member of the American Medical Association, American Academy of Neurology, Stroke Council of the American Heart Association, American Neurological Association, and International Stroke Society. Honorary Member of the Spanish Society of Neurology. Honorary Member, Mexican Association of Cerebrovascular Disease. Corresponding Member, Chilean Society of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. Member of the Editorial Board of “Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases.” Examiner, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Part II examination, from 1991 to 2004. Other honors include teaching awards from medical students at the University of South Alabama, and from Neurology Residency trainees at Boston University and Emory University. Featured in “The Best Doctors in America,” from 1994 to 2013. In 2001 was awarded the C. Miller Fisher Award for Excellence in Stroke, American Stroke Association, Massachusetts Affiliate. In February 2002, named Doctor Honoris Causa at the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
Peer-reviewed scientific articles
- Kase CS, Norrving B, Levine SR, Babikian VL, Chodosh EH, Wolf PA and Welch KMA: Cerebellar infarction: Clinical and anatomic observations in 66 cases. Stroke 1993;24:76-83.
- Berger K, Ajani UA, Kase CS, Gaziano JM, Buring JE, Glynn RJ, Hennekens CH. Light to moderate alcohol consumption and the risk of stroke among US male physicians. NEJM 1999;341:1557-1564.
- Kase CS, Furlan AJ, Wechsler LR, Higashida RT, Rowley HA, Hart RG, Molinari GF, Frederick LS, Roberts HC, Gebel JM, Sila CA, Schulz GA, Roberts RS, Gent M, & the PROACT II Investigators. Symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage after intra-arterial thrombolysis with prourokinase in acute ischemic stroke: The PROACT II trial. Neurology 2001;57:1603-1610.
- Castillo J, Dávalos A, Álvarez-Sabín J, Pumar JM, Leira R, Silva Y, Montaner J, Kase CS. Molecular signatures of tissue necrosis after intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurology 2002;58:624-629.
- Carandang R, Seshadri S, Beiser A, Kelly-Hayes M, Kase CS, Kannel WB, Wolf PA. Trends in incidence, lifetime risk, severity, and 30-day mortality of stroke over the past 50 years. JAMA 2006;296:2939-2946.
- Sherman DG, Albers GW, Bladin C, Fieschi C, Gabbai AA, Kase CS, O’Riordan W, Pineo GF, for the PREVAIL Investigators. The efficacy and safety of enoxaparin versus unfractionated heparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after acute ischaemic stroke (PREVAIL study): An open-label randomized comparison. Lancet 2007;369:1347-1355.
- Broderick J, Connolly S, Feldmann E, Hanley D, Kase C, Krieger D, Mayberg M, Morgenstern L, Ogilvy CS, Vespa P, Zuccarello M. Guidelines for the management of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage in adults: 2007. Stroke 2007;38:2001-2023.
- Ikram MA, Seshadri S, Bis JC, Fornage M, DeStefano AL, Aulchenko YS, Debette S, Lumley T, Folsom AR, van den Herik EG, Bos MJ, Beiser A, Cushman M, Launer LJ, Shahar E, Struchalin M, Du Y, Glazer NL, Rosamond WD, Rivadeneira F, Kelly-Hayes M, Lopez OL, Coresh J, Hofman A, DeCarli C, Heckbert SR, Koudstaal PJ,Yang Q, Smith NL, Kase CS, Rice K, Haritunians T, Roks G, de Kort PLM, TaylorKD, de Lau LM, Oostra BA, Uitterlinden AG, Rotter JI, Boerwinkle E, Psaty BM, Mosley TH, van Duijn CM, Breteler MMB, Longstreth WT, Wolf PA. Genome-wide association studies of stroke: The CHARGE Consortium. NEJM 2009;60:1718-1728.
- Demchuk AM, Dowlatshahi D, Rodriquez-Luna D, Molina CA, Silva-Blas Y, Dzialowski I, Kobayashi A, Boulanger JM, Lum C, Gubitz G, Padma B, Roy J, Kase CS, Kosior J, Bhatia R, Tymchuk S, Subramaniam S, Gladstone DJ, Hill MD, Aviv RI. Prediction of haematoma growth and outcome in patients with intracerebral haemorrhage using the CT-angiography spot sign (PREDICT): a prospective observational study. Lancet Neurology 2012;11:307-314.
- Sacco RL, Kasner SE, Broderick JP, Caplan LR, Connors JJ, Culebras A, Elkind MSV, George MG, Hamdan AD, Higashida RT, Hoh BL, Janis LS, Kase CS, Kleindorfer DO, Lee J-M, Moseley ME, Peterson ED, Turan TN, Valderrama AL, Vinters HV; on behalf of the American Heart Association Stroke Council, Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease, and Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism. An updated definition of stroke for the 21st century: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2013;44:2064-2089.
- Álvarez-Sabín J, Maisterra O, Santamarina E, Kase CS. Factors influencing haemorrhagic transformation in ischaemic stroke: a review. Lancet Neurology 2013;12:689-705.
- Culebras A, Messé SR, Chaturvedi S, Kase CS, Gronseth G. Summary of evidence-based guideline update: Prevention of stroke in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: Report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2014;82:716-724.
- Hanley DF, Thompson RE, Muschelli J, Rosenblum M, McBee N, Lane K, Bistran-Hall AJ, Mayo SW, Keyl P, Gandhi D, Morgan TC, Ullman N, Mould WA, Carhuapoma JR, Kase CS, Ziai W, Thompson CB, Yenokyan G, Huang E, Broaddus WC, Graham RS, Aldrich EF, Dodd R, Wijman C, Caron J-L, Huang J, Camarata P, Mendelow AD, Gregson B, Janis S, Vespa P, Martin N, Awad I, Zuccarello M, for the MISTIE Investigators. Safety and efficacy of minimally invasive surgery plus alteplase in intracerebral haemorrhage evacuation (MISTIE): a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Neurology 2016;15:1228-1237.
- Hanley DF, Lane K, McBee N, Ziai W, Tuhrim S, Lees KR, Dawson J, Gandhi D, Ullman N, Mould WA, Mayo SW, Mendelow AD, Gregson B, Butcher K, Vespa P, Wright DW, Kase CS, Carhuapoma JR, Keyl PM, Diener-West M, Muschelli J, Betz JF, Thompson CB, Sugar EA, Yenokyan G, Janis S, John S, Harnof S, Lopez GA, Aldrich EF, Harrigan MR, Ansari S, Jallo J, Caron J-L, LeDoux D, Adeoye O, Zuccarello M, Adams HP, Rosenblum M, Thompson RE, Awad IA, for the CLEAR III Investigators. Thrombolytic removal of intraventricular haemorrhage in treatment of severe stroke: results of the randomised, multicentre, multiregion, placebo-controlled CLEAR III trial. Lancet 2017;389:603-611.
- Shoamanesh A, Pearce LA, Bazan C, Catanese L, McClure LA, Sharma M, Marti-Fabregas J, Anderson DC, Kase CS, Hart RG, Benavente OR, on behalf of the SPS3 Trial Investigators. Cerebral microbleeds in the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) trial: stroke recurrence, mortality and treatment interactions. Annals of Neurology 2017;82:197-207.
Kase CS & Caplan LR: INTRACEREBRAL HEMORRHAGE, Butterworth-Heinemann, Stoneham, MA 1994.
Samuels MA, Feske SK, Daffner KR, Kase CS, Preston DC, Rolak LA, Spierings ELH, Sudarsky LR & Wen PY: OFFICE PRACTICE OF NEUROLOGY, 2nd Edition, Churchill-Livingstone, Philadelphia, PA 2003.
- Psychiatry/Neurology – Neurology
- Education and Training
- Medical School @ Catholic University of Chile
- Residency @ Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston