- Marcus Stroke & Neuroscience Center
- Primary Location
- 80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive SE Atlanta, GA 30303
- Telephone Number
- (404) 616-1111
Dr. Karakis is an Associate Professor of Neurology at Emory University School of Medicine. He serves as the director of Electroencephalography, Intraoperative Monitoring and Epilepsy Services at Grady Memorial Hospital.
He graduated with honors from the Medical School of Athens, Greece. Subsequently he completed Neurology Residency at Boston Medical Center, Boston University, serving as the Chief Resident in the last year of his training. He then specialized in Clinical Neurophysiology by completing a two-year fellowship with focus on Electroencephalography (EEG), Epilepsy and Intraoperative Monitoring at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and a one-year fellowship with focus on Electromyography (EMG) and Neuromuscular Medicine at Lahey Clinic, Tufts University and Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
He also completed a Master of Science in Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health and a PhD thesis on quality of life in epilepsy in the Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece.
He is board-certified in Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology, Neuromuscular Medicine, and Epilepsy by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, in Clinical Neurophysiology with added competency in Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring by the American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology and in Electromyography by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine.
Dr. Karakis has been elected as a fellow member of the American Academy of Neurology, American Neurological Association, American Epilepsy Society and American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine. He also serves as a member of the Clinical Neurophysiology Committee of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He is interested in medical education serving as the Program Director of the Emory Epilepsy Fellowship and Associate Program Director of the Emory Clinical Neurophysiology Fellowship. His research interests span the whole spectrum of Clinical Neurophysiology.
- 2011 Above and Beyond Award, Partners Neurology Residency Program, Harvard Medical School
- 2013 Faculty Teaching Award, Emory Neurology Residency Program, Emory University School of Medicine
- 2014 Resident’s Friend Award, Emory Neurology Residency Program, Emory University School of Medicine
- 2015 Honoree of Celebration for Faculty Excellence, Emory University School of Medicine
- 2015 A.B. Baker Teacher Recognition Award, American Academy of Neurology
[su_feed url=”https://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/erss.cgi?rss_guid=1fQ8NaQxbRgAefjbnLiqfbGjjbrbVgurg-d-CzA2rY0B7YfYpp” limit=”6″]
- Education and Training
- Medical School @ Medical School of Athens
- Internship @ Fairview Hospital
- Residency @ Boston University Medical Center
- Massachusetts General Hospital